Thursday, September 22, 2011

On Family Reunions

"So, when are you going to get married? You're not getting any younger, you know," one of my distant aunts asked me when I was 14. 


"When are you going to have kids? Why don't you have kids?" I overheard another aunt ask one of the married couples.
I don't get why some people think they're obligated to monitor other people's life choices given what little blood you actually share with them. I have grown to realize that there are questions you don't ask people because you don't know what they're going through.

You don't ask people why they're single, or why they're still childless. Not only is it not your business, it's also a dumb question to ask unless you are really wondering about how normal people function in society. People don't ask YOU why you threw your life away and married a tricycle driver before any of you were old enough to vote. People don't ask you why your vagina never seem to dry up, constantly popping out one of your pesky kids who come to beg every Christmas.

I don't come to your face and ask you about the status of your lovelife. I just assume you don't have one, because, you know, you're ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment